Friday, June 22, 2012

Sweet Summer Days

Phew, this summer has been a whirlwind. A super fun and blessed whirlwind, that is. This summer is unlike any summer in the past, since the majority of my friends now are fun college and live all over Kentucky. SO, instead of filling every second of every day up with plans, I have been able to spend a lot of time with my family and the few precious friends that I have here. Somehow, I manage to stay ridiculously busy, but I love it! That way! I have neglected to blog recently, simply because there has been so much on my heart and mind and also due to the fact that when I finally stop after a crazy day, I am too tired to think. Ha!

¡Pura Vida!...
The day after school got out (literally the day after I moved back home…I had 2 hours of sleep that night) my family had the opportunity to go to Costa Rica for our family vacation. It was SO nice to escape our hectic lives and simply spend some time together resting and relaxing. Costa Rica was absolutely gorgeous and we enjoyed exploring the country and stumbling across fun adventures.

Zip-Lining  Through the Jungle

Poás Volcano 

Just Chilling with a Tucan

Beautiful Waterfalls

While there were so many hilarious moments during the trip, here is a little sample of how ridiculous my family is…

Cliff Diving Fo Dayz
The most hilarious moments of the trip took place in the car. Our SUV was stick shift, and well, that just caused all sorts of problems and hilarious moments. I lost count of how many times we slid back, stalled, and gunned it. We were “those tourists” all week, and it was priceless. Every single time we got in the car, something so ridiculous and “American” would happen. Our favorite moment of all went something like this…

Before going on another adventure, we decided to stop at a grocery store to load up on some sunscreen and water. We found a store and decided to park on the road across from it but after realizing that we were in a fairly precarious spot, we decided it would be best to pull into the parking lot. Mom got out of the car to direct dad as to when it would be safe to cross since the store was on a hilly and windy road. When the coast was clear, mom signaled and dad gunned it across the road…right….over….a…cliff. Mind you, the cliff was only about three and half feet tall. What is so priceless was the reaction from everyone. Mom, who watched the whole thing happen, stood with her mouth gaping open and in total shock and disbelief. Dad, Rachel, and I had zero reaction. As two wheels were in the parking lot and two were on the cliff, there were no words spoken. It wasn’t until we got out of the car and after dad had announced “we’re here” to everyone who had stopped what they were doing to look at the stupid Americans, that we fully realized what had happened. The SUV took the cliff diving like a champ and escaped with only a few battle wounds (which blended in with the previous damage).



No Habla Espano
We also lived up to our “American-ness” by failing at speaking Spanish everywhere we went. We would all try to speak the “pequena” (small) amount of Spanish that we knew and always got sweet and sympathetic smiles from the locals as we stumbled over our words and mixed languages. Dad was the closest, okay maybe furthest one of us to be fluent. He was an expert at showing how talented he was by being bi or trilingual during one conversation. We probably should have brushed up on our Spanish a little bit before we went, but it was a learning experience and certainly gave us a lot to laugh about.

The trip was an absolutely blast and was such a blessing. It was so wonderful to spend that time with my precious family and explore a new country.

Here Comes the Bride…
Well, I have officially reached the age that my peers are beginning to get married. It is so weird! Haha. Already this summer, we have had the opportunity to celebrate two weddings. Both weddings were so beautiful and it was so fun (and super weird) to see some of our dearest friends begin new chapters in their lives. Both couples are so Godly and beautiful and it was an honor to celebrate their marriage!

Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Cate

Friends For 16 Years

Celebrating Elyse and Aaron's Wedding

Sisterbears

Random Adventures…
The summer has consisted of weddings, graduation parties, working or should I say “working” at the pool, going away parties, babysitting, pool days, lots and lots of Orange Leaf, and loving on some awesome people! Since it would take forever and a day to write about each fun adventure, I’m just going to document the fun times with some pictures.

Reds Game with Sweet Friends

Cincinnati Zoo with the Weiland Girls

Reunited with the Sweeney's

Orange Leaf with Precious Friends

All Church Serve Day

Serving with Sweet Friends

Hart's Going Away Party...Sweet Owie

My Crazy Family

Pool Day with Ayda Girl

We Love Our Relatives

Happy Father’s Day…
The Lord has blessed me with an absolutely incredible Dad. My Dad is such a Godly man who leads our family and is faithful and obedient to the Lord. He also has one of the sweetest and gentle hearts of anyone I have ever met mixed with a hilarious sense of humor. I love my Daddy so much more than earthly words can express and am honored to be his daughter. I hope to find a man who leads and loves like he does someday.

The Twins

The Whole Family

Sweet Daddy-O

I have also been blessed by having two amazing grandpas. My Papa, who passed away several years ago, was a hardworking man who loved his family, loved to laugh, and loved God. He raised my Dad to be a man of integrity, perseverance, gentleness, kindness, and love. I miss my Papa dearly and I look forward to the day I will see him again. My other grandpa, Pappy is an amazing man. Pappy always makes me smile and gives the best hugs. While our days with Pappy may be limited, I am so thankful I got to celebrate Father’s Day with him and will soak up every opportunity to spend time with him and love on him that I can. Pappy has such a gentle yet strong-willed spirit and has always provided for and led his family with love, encouragement, laughter, and with a Godly perspective. 

Pappy-O

I am so humbled and grateful to have these three men to be examples of Godly, hardworking, and amazing men.

We Prescribe Fun…
This coming week, I have the opportunity to be a counselor at Camp Courageous, a camp designed to give kids who are terminally ill the opportunity to have a camp experience and have the time of their lives. I am so honored by the opportunity to go and am excited to see how the Lord will use me as His hands and feet to love on His children and how He will shape my heart to be more like His. Please join me in praying for the kids, their parents, and for me, as I know this will be an extremely difficult week emotionally, mentally, and physically. I hope to update my blog each night, so that I can reflect on each day’s events as well as give y’all an opportunity to see your prayers at work. To Him be ALL the glory.

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. -1 Peter 4:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment