Friday, June 29, 2012

Camp Courageous: Day 6

What a fun day today was! It was nice to have a little mix up to our schedule instead of the same routine we have been on for the past few days. We got to sleep in until…drum roll please…8:00. Ooooh yeah! Haha. We went straight to breakfast and then headed back to the lodge to start packing (whoo hoo) while they set up for “Stage Day,” which is basically a glorified talent show. After packing for a bit, we headed back to the cafeteria for the big performances. Oh my goodness, it was the CUTEST thing ever! The show consisted of singing, dancing, joke telling, puppet shows, impersonations, basically anything you can think that would be a talent (and some that you would not, Ha!)  were performed by the most precious kids. Since the camp norm around here is to go along with anything the campers want to do, two of the counselors I was working with that week and I performed with our girls to “Boyfriend” by the one and only J Biebs and acted like the “boyfriends” to our girls. Nothing like embarrassing yourself in front of a hundred people…have I mentioned that this week has taught me to humble myself? Oh it was priceless.

The "Boys" and the Girls

"We Could Be Your Boyfriend, We'll Never Let You Go..."

After the nearly two hour long show, we headed to the gym as the cafeteria was once again transformed from an auditorium to a cafeteria. We ate lunch and then it was time for siesta. Whoo hoo! Because of the ridiculous heat (today it is 106 degrees), our kids couldn’t participate in the outdoor activities, so we swam (well I sat out with the girls who didn’t want to swim and wrote letters…super nice to have some breathing time!) and after that, I went once again to woodshop. My girl was the only one in woodshop (awkward), so after making two masterpieces, we walked over to the beauty shop where my true calling was discovered. After painting her nails, I offered to wash and do her hair. Yeaaaahhhh, those little squirty things they use at beauty parlors are tricky little suckers. After squirting her face and shirt (oooops), she decided that she would rather do my makeup and hair (now she tells me!). Oh so silly.

After that, we headed to our jungle themed dinner and headed back to our lodge for lodge closings.  This was the highlight of my week. At the beginning of the week, we had decided to take the “jungle theme” in a different direction for our girls and make it a concrete jungle and focus on inner and outer beauty. When we arrived back at the lodge, the girls had spread out a long sheet of paper (which we used for a runway) and had the girls write “builder statements” to one another, to focus on the inner beauty that is found in each of those wonderful girls. The girls got so into it and it was so beautiful to see them laughing with one another and encouraging them through their words. So awesome. After focusing on the inner beauty, we focused on outer beauty by having a “Project Runway: Garbage Bag Edition” challenge. Being the nooby, I was chosen to represent our den in the fashion show. My girls competed against the other dens to make me the prettiest garbage bag dress in less than twenty minutes. It was awesome to watch them come alive as they brainstormed ideas and worked together as a team to make a pretty rockin’ ensemble. After the twenty minutes were up and I had been decked out in my jewelry, silver (AKA gray) hair paint, and my “dress” I strutted down the runway giggling all the way down. It was a blast!

The Girls Decorating the Runway

My Girls were SO Precious


My Beautiful Dress

The Models

After the den closing, we headed back to the cafeteria to the all camp closing, where we sat on blankets on the floor while the fireplace was on and recounted the fun memories we had made this week. It was a cool way to close out the week and finish it on a high note.

After the closing, we quickly sent the girls to bed and began filling out the camper evaluations. During the evaluations, my den peers and I were able to have awesome conversation that encouraged each of us and bonded us in a totally unexpected way. It was such a blessing to meet those sweet girls and serve alongside of them. We each come from very different backgrounds but it was really cool to see how our personalities clicked and how the Lord used each of our talents to make the camp experience for our girls as positive as possible. They have such servants hearts and I am inspired and in awe that they are able to do this week in and week out. Phew. God bless those girls! Due to our slap-happiness and excitement that the week was almost over, we stayed up talking until about 1:30, which was when I realized I still had “grandma hair” and had to take a shower. Fail. Ha! BUT, the conversation that we had and the laughs we shared were totally worth the loss of sleep.

This has definitely been the most positive day of the week and it was awesome to watch the friendships among our girls and the friendships among my peers and I grow in such a cool and unexpected way this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment