Thursday, June 28, 2012

Camp Courageous: Day 5

Well, I successfully made it through another day. Each morning I wake up nearly in tears thinking about the day I have in store for me and then I just begin to cover the day in prayer and am so comforted knowing that the kids and I are being prayed over. This morning I went with some of our girls to woodshop where they experimented with wood burners (that was a first) and decorated little wooden cars to compete in the "BG 500 Race."

After early risers, we had breakfast and then went to our Mornin' Explorin' activities which included nature (collecting leaves and glueing them on paper...now if that's not exiting, I don't know what is) and then Fun and Games. During Fun and Games, one of the girls in our group got itchy and after she asked me to "pat her hair" (No joke. Ha!), we took her back to the lodge to shower. That's when the excitement began. After getting in and out of the shower, we checked her head and found that food from the messy games was caked into her real hair under her weave. SO, we cut out her weave. Yeahhh, there is a reason I am a white girl. Ha! It was seriously one of the most hilarious experiences I have had in a while...I now know why it's called weave. In Erika's (one of my peer counselors) words "we are the two whitest girls cutting out this girls weave." After her weave was out and her braids were undone, she transformed from a pretty little girl to a little Einstein. Oh Erika and I lost it after she went in to shower. Wow. After our beauty school dropout time, we went to lunch...which neither of us were hungry for after our ordeal. Goodness gracious. Then came siesta time...whoo hoo! I got a nice hour long nap which gave me the boost I was in desperate need of.

After siesta, I went to woodshop again with the girls to finish their cars and then we got our swim on. Halfway through swimming, my favorite little girl asked if she could get out because she was hurting. After getting out and talking to her, she told me she was having sickle pain. SO, we got dressed quickly and headed to the medical center where they gave her pain medicine and had her lay down. While chatting with her as she rested and waited for the medicine to kick in, in walked another one of our girls experiencing severe sickle pain. This weather is TOUGH on these poor girls because sickle cell causes them to have a hard time managing their body temperature. SO, they put her on an IV to pump liquids and medicine. Gosh, my heart absolutely broke in that moment as I watched those little girls laying in the hospital beds. The deeper we get into this week, the more emotionally attached I have become to these girls and my heart just ached for them...and for their parents. I sat on the side of their beds trying to imagine what it must be like for their parents to helplessly watch their daughters as they are being poked and prodded while they sit back and can do nothing. And then I had to stop imagining because I couldn't break down and cry in front of the girls. While watching the girls lay in those hospital beds broke my heart, I am thankful for the one on one time and conversations I had with each of them. After assuring that the girls were okay and in good hands, I ran over and caught the tail end of dinner.

After dinner, we had the "BG 500" where the kids who had decorated their cars got to push them down a long track one by one while being announced and cheered for. So cute! Gosh, the kids here are so ridiculously cute it's unreal. Goodness gracious. After the race, we didn't tell the girls what time it was and wound up getting them to bed early. Score! Haha. And now, I am going to bed early AND get to sleep in. Ooooh yeah! Sweet dreams sweet people!

The Race Track

Way Holding Her Car

No comments:

Post a Comment