Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Camp Courageous: Day 4

Phew, what a day. You wouldn't believe these sweet kiddos are sick by the way they structure each day...that phrase "no rest for the weary" couldn't be any more accurate. Ha! This morning was rouuuugh. I made the unfortunate mistake of staying up late last night, as the excitement from the "messy games" woke me up too much to fall asleep right away. Anywaysss, I prayed throughout the morning that the Lord would give me the strength and patience that I was lacking and He totally answered those prayers. What a faithful God we have!

Despite my total physical and mental exhaustion, I had to pretend like I was as chipper as a little bird (I may have just made that up...not sure) and watched one of our girls take pictures of everything under the moon and stars for an hour. Ha! We then went to breakfast, then the stable where the girls rode the horses (sadly I didn't get to use my expert horse whispering guiding skills...probably for the best), then we went bowling, and then embroidery where the girls got to embroider some bandanas. Ooh yeah, there is nothing cooler than walking around with a bandana WITH your name on it. Then we had lunch and siesta! That was super nice as I had a bad headache and thoroughly enjoyed taking an hour long nap. After that, we went to a horse show and learned about "Rocky Horses" and then I went to fishing and boating which was HOT HOT HOT! And it was hilarious to watch the kids as they caught their fish...apparently it is a camp tradition to "catch, kiss, and release." Umm, yeah you heard me, KISS the fish. Totally priceless to watch kids fight over who would be first to kiss the fish. Kids really do do the darndst things. Haha.

Sweet Madelina and I...So proud of her for "Wrangling" those Fish

Priceless

Paddle Boating in the Swan

After baking in the sun for a bit, we had dinner and then came back to the lodge to get ready for the dance the campers had. On our way to the dance (the cafeteria) we stopped at the "beauty salon" where we had 8 minutes to do makeup, hair, and paint nails. I did makeup for 2 girls, spray painted 2 girls' hair, and I think I painted about 8 hands. I'd say that's some kind of record seeing as it takes me 8 minutes to paint my nails alone. Ha! It was super cute to see all of the girls getting primped and ready for the dance. Unfortunately, one of our girls wasn't feeling well so instead of busting a move, I played board games with her...again, probably for the best. ;) After the dance it was finally bedtime for the girls! Haha.

After the girls fell asleep, I was able to organize my very disheveled suitcase and take a nice long shower. Ahhhh. It's the little things. Ha! Today has definitely been the best day so far. Your prayers are being so boldly answered and I am so humbled by your love and support. Gosh, these kids are crazy awesome! Tonight at the dance I got teary eyed watching kids with wheelchairs, braces, walkers, and major illnesses dance their little hearts out. If only we could bottle up the joy they have! This week has taught me so much already but most of all, or at least today, I have learned how to serve humbly and how to love boldly as well as how to live a life full of joy despite your circumstances. Gosh, if these kids can smile, laugh, and live bold and joyful lives, we have no reason to let anything stop us from doing the same. I am so grateful and humbled that the Lord has blessed me with an able body and am honored that He has given me the opportunity to love on some kids who have some very able (and beautiful) hearts! Keep the prayers coming, they are being answered in a big way! Even if we can't talk about God here, He is so present and is moving in hearts here.

 Ps- For those of you wondering, after 2 showers consisting of scrubbing my hair twice in each, I believe it is safe to say that the "Chug Chug" has officially left its unwelcomed residence in my hair. Phew. Everytime the wind blew today I nearly "chug chug-ed." Ha! Yay for shampoo and body spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment